Monday, April 26, 2010

Oven Baked Okra

Grandma, I feel like I've gone behind your back having okra not at your house and not fried! Let me say first that nothing will ever beat yours!!:) Once (sometimes twice, if I'm lucky!) per year I go to my grandparents for an okra dinner. I call it okra dinner because I don't even know if there's other stuff served because all I care about is the fried okra!! She makes the BEST!!

Well, I was craving it, and knew I could only do the fried stuff once a year, so I went in search of an oven recipe. I found a bunch of different ones that lookes good, all following what I expected to--the basic dredging, dipping in liquid, dredging, and baking, but I was most interested in this simple recipe from A Year in the Kitchen. It's even more simple than the dredging stations! I put it all in a bag, shook it up, baked, and yum!! Serve with ketchup for the true experience:)
Oh, be warned--just like other breaded foods, if you want to reheat, you should do it in the oven, not the microwave!

Oven Baked Okra
from A Year in the Kitchen

1 bag of frozen cut okra, thawed (or fresh from your garden!)
1/2 cup Italian style breadcrumbs
1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
salt and pepper

In a ziploc bag, toss okra with breadcrumbs, salt, and pepper. Spread in single layer on baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.

No comments: