Sunday, January 31, 2010

"Cinnabon" rolls= best cinnamon rolls I've ever made!

There have been Spangles commericals on recently for Yoder cinnamon rolls. If you have ever been to Carriage Crossing, you know how excellent they are, and now we can conveniently get them right down the street! Temptation for sure! We both thought that sounded pretty good, so I searched a while for the perfect recipe, and found what seemed to be a good one with good reviews on AllRecipes. They're amaaaaaazing! I will go ahead and call them the best homemade cinnamon rolls I have ever had (sorry if I've had yours..I am sure they were good too:) Gotta try these!

Do go buy bread flour just for these. There is a protein difference--if you can only use all purpose, use a bit more all purpose. But it's worth the trip for the bread flour. Also, the original link shows you how to make them in a bread machine. I adapted the recipe for my bread machineless household.
I really couldn't care to position this in the most flattering way because I was too excited to eat it!





Cinnamon Rolls
from allrecipes, adapted for my equipment!
1 cup warm milk (2% or higher will be best here...I heated in microwave for about 1 minute 15 seconds)
2 eggs, room temperature
1/3 cup margarine, melted
4 1/2 cups bread flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup white sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons yeast (1 pkg)
filling:
1 cup brown sugar, packed
2 1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
1/3 cup butter, softened
raisins, optional
icing: (they call for cream cheese icing..the man of my house doesn't eat that, so we did glaze)
powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla (combine the right amounts to get a good consistency..I probably start out with around 2 cups of powdered sugar, 2 tbsp of milk, and a tsp of vanilla and adjust from there)
Directions:
Combine yeast with milk and 1/4 cup of the sugar. Let yeast dissolve for about 10 minutes. It should be frothy. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200 F. Also, put some water in a heatproof dish and bring it to boiling in the microwave (or if it's an ovenproof pot, on the stove).
Add the egg, melted margarine, salt, and sugar. Mix in the flour, then turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead (will have to add in more flour during this process) for approximately 10 minutes. Grease an ovenproof bowl or pan and place dough in it.
Turn off the oven and place the water on the bottom rack of the oven and the dough on the top rack. Let rise for 1 hour...it should double.
After dough has doubled, turn out onto a lightly floured surface, cover and let rest for 10 minutes. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon.
Roll dough into a 16x21 rectangle (or a little larger for more, smaller rolls). Spread dough with the softened butter then with the brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle raisins, nuts, or whatever other filling you want to now!
Roll up dough and cut into 12 rolls. (I made 15 out of this. If you want to make mini rolls, just roll a wider rectangle!) I cut with fishing line--slide under the roll, pull both sides around like you're going to tie it, but don't tie it--it will cut. Place dough in a lightly greased 9x13 pan (I also needed an additional small pan) just a little apart from each other. Cover and let rise until almost doubled (about 30 minutes).
OR at the point you are supposed to cover and rise again, you may put them in the fridge overnight, which is what I did, and will pick up from there. That way, you don't have to get up 3 hours before breakfast to have fresh rolls!
In the morning, I turned the oven to 350, took the plastic wrap off the rolls, and put them straight into the (non-preheated) oven so they could warm up with the oven. Baked for about 25 minutes (~27/28?). As they baked, I made glaze, dumped it on top while warm, and devoured! Um, I mean, I put them on a plate and politely ate them with a fork and knife and absolutely did not scrape any of the good stuff from the bottom and eat it with a spoon.
Hope you like them as much as we did! (if you're still with me at this point!)

No comments: